Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kizomba Saturdays Vol. 9 - Amor Melaço, by Irmãos Almeida

Kizomba SaturdaysAbout Kizomba Saturdays: Saturday has always been a day of kizomba. Living in Luanda, there was always a boisterous neighborhood party to go to on a Saturday night, where we would exhaust ourselves dancing kizomba after kizomba, waiting for that special tarraxinha to come on so that we could go slow dance with that girl we have a crush on. Even during the day, the aunts or cousins would put on an album while they cleaned or cooked, dancing spontaneously on the quintal (backyard) while the beans cooked and the fish grilled. I find myself keeping the tradition alive here in the States, where come the weekend I invariably play kizombas, even though I have no one to dance with. I figured I’d bring that tradition here to the Lounge: Kizomba Saturdays.

Most of my formative years were spent in the US, during a time when the internet wasn't what it is today and getting access to current Angolan music was nearly impossible. Especially since my Dad, the only one that was going to Angola fairly regularly, only listened to Bonga, Carlos Burity and the like. I think Kussundulola's Tá-se Bem was the only non-semba or rebita album that he ever brought home. This is all to say that there is a golden period of Angolan kizomba that I know nothing about, a fact that my cousin Victor loves to make fun of me for. Him and I have this running battle where he'll play old school zouk and kizomba to see if I'll recognize the song. While most of the time I manage to perform reasonably well, sometimes I fail spectacularly. We were sitting in the car a couple of days ago and he puts on Amor Melaço by Irmãos Almeida. What a beauty of a song. He and my brother Paulo start singing it enthusiastically, and, noticing my silence, ask me if I know the song.

My answer shocked them. Perplexed, my cousin asks me how can I possibly not know that song. Oh, the pitfalls of immigration. As we sat there in the car, in an impenetrable Cape Town traffic jam (Netherlands vs. Uruguay was starting in less than an hour at Green Point), I took in the gorgeous lyrics of the song while Victor sang heartily and "emotionated":

Como é bom saber que estás de volta (It's so good to know you're back)
Seu baton volta a pintar a minha camisa (It's back to your lipstick staining my shirt)
O teu cheiro volta a colar na minha roupa (It's back to having your scent stuck to my clothes)
Os teus brincos voltas a esquecer na minha banca... (It's back to having you forget your earrings on my bedside...)

After hearing the song for the first time in that car, I can't get enough of it. According to my cousin this lovely heartfelt kizomba was a hit in Luanda when it came out, one of those kizombas that fill the dancefloor to capacity. The geniuses who composed it, the legendary Irmãos Almeida, are still active in Angola today, and actually have an album coming out at the end of this month. Hearing this song actually prompted another debate in the car: the fact that kizombas made today, like ghetto-zouks and tarrachinhas, no longer have the same "feeling", the same passion as classics like Amor Melaço. I'll leave that for you to decide, but meanwhile, turn up your headphones or your stereo and dance like it's 1994 in Luanda.

Amor Melaço

Sobre o Kizomba Saturdays: Para mim, sábado sempre foi um dia de kizomba. Na banda (Angola), sábado à noite há sempre uma festa de quintal para se ir dançar kizomba ao nosso bel prazer, dançar até as pernas começarem a estremecer de cansaço, dançar até vir aquela tarraxinha que estavamos à espera, e aí sim, podemos parar de dançar e em vez tarraxar com aquela mboa que nos estava a olhar a festa toda. Coisas da banda. Mesmo durante o dia, as tias e as primas botam um CD na aparelhagem com aquelas kizombas que param multidões, e enquanto o feijão ferve e o cacusso grelha, são várias as danças espontâneas no quintal entre primo e tia, sobrinho e irmã, convidado e pato. Porque patos há sempre, até para o almoço de sábado. Aqui nos States, tento, teimosamente, manter a tradição. Acordo aos sábados e boto kizomba na aparalhegam. Meus roommates só me olham. Ja estão habituados. Danço com a vassoura, afinal elas existem para quê? Decidi então trazer este hábito para o Lounge: Kizomba Saturdays. Para atenuar a saudade da banda.

Passei a maioria dos meus anos formativos nos Estados Unidos, numa altura em que a internet não era o que é e o meu acesso à música angolana era quase inexistente. Principalmente porque o meu kota era o único que ia à Luanda mais ou menos regularmente, e na bagagem só trazia Bonga ou Carlos Burity. Acho que o Tá-se Bem dos Kussondulola foi o primerio e único álbum sem semba e rebita que o meu kota trouxe das suas viagens. Isso tudo é só para dizer que a minha sabedoria acerca da maioria das grandes kizombas feitas em Angola durante o período da guerra é lamentável. Facto este que o meu primo Victor adora explorar. Há vezes que ele desafia-me, tocando kizombas e zouks dos velhos tempos só para ver se tenho conhecimento delas. Na maioria das vezes até saio-me más ou menos bem, mas há vezes mesmo que cometo gaffes sérios. Estávamos nós sentados num tremendo engarrafamento em Cape Town (Holanda vs. Uruguay em Green Point era em menos de uma hora) e ele bota Amor Melaço dos Irmãos Almeida na aparelhagem. Que linda música. O Victor e o meu irmão Paulo começam a cantar, entusiasmados, e, olhando para mim, notam o meu silêncio. Perguntam-me se conheço a música.

A minha resposta os chocou. Principalmente ao Victor, claro. Perplexo, perguntou-me como era possível eu não conhecer aquele puro som. Maldita imigração, lhe respondi entre risos. Enquanto apreciávamos o engarrafamento, deliciei-me com a letra da música enquanto o meu primo a cantava, “emotionated”, em alto e bom som:

Como é bom saber que estás de volta
Seu baton volta a pintar a minha camisa
O teu cheiro volta a colar na minha roupa
Os teus brincos voltas a esquecer na minha banca...

Depois de ouvir a música pela primeira vez, não quero outra coisa. Segundo o meu primoto, quando esta música saiu fez enorme sucesso em Luanda, daquele sucesso que causa enchente na pista de dança. Os génios por detrás desta canção são os Irmãos Almeida, que ainda continuam no activo. Prometeram lançar um álbum mesmo no fim deste mês. Esta música ainda causou outro debate no carro: será que as kizombas feitas antigamente tinham mais “feeling”, mais paixão, que os ghetto-zouks feitos hoje? Pois, são conversas para outras ocasiões. Por agora, levantem os volumes dos headphones ou da aparelhagem, e dancem como se fosse 1994 em Luanda.

-Photo by Zé Carlos

2 comments:

DMG said...

Hi. Where can I learn to dance Kizomba in Cape Town...?

Claudio Silva said...

Hey DMG,

I don't live in Cape Town (I was only there on holiday) and thus dunno if kizomba classes are offered in the Mother City, but there are certainly numerous Angolan parties at clubs throughout the city where I'm sure you can learn a step or two.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...