Monday, January 10, 2011

Caipirinha Lounge Jazz Sessions: John Coltrane vs. The Jazz Renegades

Welcome to Jazz Sessions, a new series here at the Lounge where I get to share with you my growing fondness for jazz music. I've been listening to a lot of it here in Luanda recently thanks to my cousin Leo's burgeoning collection, as well as my uncle Antonio's equally burgeoning vaults replete with the finest jazz around. I guess it's not an accident that he's known as Mr. Jazz around these parts. Last night I managed to snag four jazz albums from him, the songs of which I'll share with you over the coming weeks. But what I want to share with you today comes from my cousin Leo's collection, along with another song from my own archives. Leo is a big fan of John Coltrane and it's hard not to be: he is only the greatest jazz musician to ever live. Read about him when you get the chance.

A couple of nights ago as we were driving out of Luanda in the direction of Luanda Sul along an empty Rocha Pinto road in the dead of night, he put on John Coltrane's album Traneing In, on Prestige Records, and to date it's been the best 40 minutes of jazz I've heard in my life. I'm a beginner in this but nonetheless I was transfixed. There were three of us in the car, including my brother, and I don't think any of us said a complete sentence while the album played. If this doesn't make you appreciate the quality of jazz music, I doubt anything will. My favorite track on Traneing In is the one featured here, Slow Dance.

The other jazz number I want to share with you comes from a more familiar source if you've been listening to this site for awhile: Thievery Corporation's compilation album Sounds From the Verve Hi-Fi release. It's titled Do It the Hard Way and is performed by the Jazz Renegades. I first heard it back in September 2010 in DC and had been waiting for the right opportunity to share it with you...this is it.

Slow Dance
Do it the Hard Way

Bem-vindos ao Jazz Sessions, uma nova série do Lounge onde eu posso dar asas à minha crescente fascinação por este género de música. Tenho ouvido muito jazz aqui em Luanda nos últimos tempos porque o tenho perto de mim em grandes quantidades: tanto o meu primo Leo como o meu tio António (aka Mr. Jazz, como foi chamado na revista Vida) têm colecções extensas daquele jazz do bom mesmo. Ontém à noite fui à casa dele e consegui sair de lá com quatro CDs de jazz, cujas músicas partilharei com vocês nas próximas semanas. As que quero partilhar com vocês hoje vêm dos cofres do primo Leo e também dos meus. O primo é um grande fã do John Coltrane, e é mesmo díficil não ser: pra mim ele é o melhor músico de jazz que alguma vez pisou o nosso planeta. Leiam sobre ele quando tiverem tempo.

Umas noites átras estavamos a regressar de Luanda para o Nova Vida, de madrugada, num Rocha Pinto isento de carros que até parecia uma pista. Estavamos três, eu, o Leo e o meu puto Joel. O Leo põe John Coltrane no stéreo, mas concretamente o seu album Traneing In, do Prestige Records, e para mim foram os melhores 40 minutos de jazz que já ouvi na minha vida. Acho que durante este período nem 10 palavras foram ditas pelos passageiros do carro. Sou iniciante nestas andanças mas acho que já dá para determinar, para sentir, jazz do bom. A minha faixa preferida em Traneing In é Slow Dance, e se ela não te faz gostar de jazz, então nada vai.

O outro jazz que queria partilhar com vocês é de uma fonte que já foi postada aqui diversas vezes. Falo dos Thievery Corporation: encontrei Do It The Hard Way numa compilação feita por eles chamada Sounds From the Verve Hi-Fi, e foi composta pelos Jazz Renegades. A primeira vez que a ouvi foi em Setembro 2010, em Washington, e estava à espera do momento certo para a partilhar. Eis o momento. 

*saxophone artwork: Jazz del Mar

2 comments:

Sbongile Mbiko said...

Trust you to jump in at the deep end! Does this portend more Luso-influenced jazz?

Claudio Silva said...

Why jump if it's not going to be at the deep end? More Luso-influenced jazz is on the way, even because now that I've gotten a different, more informed perspective on the genre, a couple of albums that I have in mind are starting to sound different. Such as Carmen Souza's Protegid. More on this on its own post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...