Monday, August 29, 2011

Gone Baby, Don't Be Long

Erykah Badu, by SAPO
A sense of closure and normalcy is finally returning to the city in what was definitely the most surreal week I've experienced since moving to New York last March. An earthquake and a hurricane in a city that is not used to dealing with either left everyone in a peculiar and giddy mood; liquor stores in particular must of made a killing. I've never seen the city like I saw it this weekend though: empty streets, deserted sidewalks, boarded up shops in Williamsburg, not a person in sight in Times Square. My friend and I made a trip from Williamsburg to the city before the worst of what was then a tropical storm; there was not a single car on Williamsburg Bridge.

And while the wind (sort of) howled outside and the rain spattered my windows, with the city resembling a ghost metropolis, and because I don't live on just Lusophone music, I got reacquainted with Erykah Badu.  It's the sort of reacquainting you do with albums you haven't heard in awhile, and you discover just how good a particular record really is. New Amerykah Part Two (The Return of the Ankh) was my elixir of choice, but it is Gone Baby, Don't Be Long that really does me in. In the end, after the hurricane parties and the cavorting and the laughs, it was just Badu, and I, and Irene. Gone Baby, Don't Be Long in particular will always remind me of this natural disaster-prone week I experienced in the city.

Gone Baby, Don't Be Long

Depois de uma semana decididademente irreal, a cidade volta, aos poucos, à normalidade. Um pequeno terramoto e a forte expectativa negativa acerca do Furacão Irene fez com que Nova Iorque fosse uma cidade diferente, pelo comportamento ansioso da sua população e pelos preparativos extensivos que a cidade fez para lidar com a tempestade. As pessoas, claro, aproveitaram para festejar a sua maneira, e foram extensivas as 'hurricane parties' á volta da cidade. Creio que as vendas de alcoól foram motivos de muitos sorrisos entre os comerciantes! Brincadeira à parte, nunca vi a cidade como a vi este fim se semana: ruas e ruelas completamente desertas, estradas sem carros, passeios sem gente, enfim, a cidade que nunca dorme transformou-se numa cidade ás moscas. Difícilmente se vê Nova Iorque assim. Eu e um amigo, ao vermos que a intensidade do furação afinal já não era grande coisa por estas bandas, decidimos sair de Williamsburg em Brooklyn e ir para Manhattan onde moro; o carro onde estavamos era o único na ponte de Williamburg, e a vista para a cidade no meio de nuvens carregadas, névua e um sossego jamais visto foi um cenário que guardarei na memória.

Já posto na minha casa, e enquanto o vento cantava lá fora e os céus descarregavam baldes de água sobre uma cidade deserta, e porque este homem não vive só de música lusófona, reapaixonei-me pela Erykah Badu. É o tipo de apaixonamento que acontece quando não ouvimos um determinado CD por largos meses, e ao ouvi-lo depois de tanto tempo descobres afinal quão bom ele realmente é. Foi esta a minha relação com o álbum New Amerykah Part Two (The Return of the Ankh), e em particular o 'brinde' Gone Baby, Don't Be Long. Acaba comigo. E foi assim que no fim de tudo, após as hurricane parties, as risadas e as estórias todas, eramos só eu, a Badu, e a Irene. Gone Baby, Don't Be Long sempre me recordará da semana em que presenciei um terramoto e um furacão nesta grande cidade onde moro.

New Amerykah Part Two on Amazon

2 comments:

tim said...

Beautiful song, even though non-luso.

Ever since moving to Newark NJ 5 years ago I've spent a lot of time in Newark's Ironbound section which is mostly Portuguese, Brazilian and Spanish. That's where I picked up an interest in, as you put it, beautiful music in Portuguese. I found your blog a few years ago and have been a regular ever since. Thanks for your efforts!

If you ever find yourself in Newark I'd love to pick your brain about music over some great Portuguese or Brazilian food, both of which are in full supply around here.

Tim Sullivan
Newark, NJ
tim@tsoup.com

Claudio Silva said...

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for stopping by and for being a devoted reader (several years, wow!) I've been meaning to explore Newark's Ironbound district for quite some time...I'll let you know when I'm around.

All the best,

Claudio

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...