Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mariana Aydar

Mariana Aydar, by Khadija Alves
I found out about her and that beautiful, assured voice of hers in the most random of places: my Last.fm profile, which I visit maybe twice a month on a good month. So my ‘discovery’ of this stellar Brazilian singer was due to a bot on Last.fm telling me I might like her music. I clicked on the link and, two albums later, I owe that bot a huge thank you. Mariana Aydar is part of the resurgence of innovative MPB singers (neo MPB/nu MPB if you will?) from São Paulo of course, of the same caliber as Tulipa Ruíz, Tiê (both of who I met here in New York last week!), and Thiago Pethit, among others. We both went to uni in the same city, Boston, but that’s where our similarities end: Mariana studied cello, guitar and singing and then moved to Paris, met Seu Jorge, impressed him enough for him to have her open his shows around Europe, and thus launched a successful, rewarding career.

I got deep into Mariana’s music, and it’s hard not to. I must’ve listened to Palavras Não Faltam several times on end, eventually admitting defeat and just putting it on repeat, and each time it was a bit different, or perhaps you focus on different parts of the song. Another song I found myself listening to repeatedly was Beleza, a lovely duet she does with the beautiful and talented Mayra Andrade. I was still high on that song when I found this little treat of a video of the two of them singing Tunuka in the streets. Seeing them collaborate and make music like this together is an ode to Lusophone music. And lastly there is O Samba me Perseque, that Mariana sings with the legendary Zeca Pagodinho.

All these songs can be found in her latest album, ‘Peixes Pássaros Pessoas’. I’ve heard here and there that’s she’s planning to launch a new album, so watch her space!

Palavras não faltam
Beleza
O samba me persegue

Descobri-lhe, a ela e a sua voz, num dos sítios mais escondidos: o meu perfil do Last.fm que infelizmente visito se calhar duas vezes por més, com sorte. Lá estava o Last.fm, um robot, a me dizer que talvez gostaria das músicas de uma tal de Mariana Aydar. Carreguei no link e dois álbuns depois não tenho como me arrepender. É mais uma cantora da nova vaga do MPB (neo MPB/nu MPB...permitem-me a ousadia?), paulista pois claro, do calibre da Tulipa Ruíz, da Tiê (conheci as duas aqui em New York a semana passada!), e do Thiago Pethit. Estudamos os dois na mesma cidade, Boston, mas as nossas similaridades acabam por aí: a Mariana estudou cello, violão e canto e depois rumou para Paris, onde conheceu Seu Jorge, abriu concertos para ele, e assim lançou a sua carreira.

A sua música por vezes chega a ser hipnotizante: dei por mim a ouvir Palavras Não Faltam várias vezes seguidas, encontrando sempre nela um novo significado, algo diferente. Outra minha paixão é a música Beleza, um dueto que ela faz com uma verdadeira beleza em todos os sentidos, musicais e outrem, a Mayra Andrade. Foi por esta via que encontrei este vídeo das duas a cantar Tunuka em plena rua. Vendo-lhes a cantar e a fazer música juntas é uma homenagem ao poder da música lusófona. Deixo-vos finalmente com O Samba me Perseque, que a Mariana faz com o grande Zeca Pagodinho.

‘O samba me perseque, e eu não vou negar.’

Todas estas músicas podem ser encontradas no mais recente álbum da cantora, ‘Peixes Pássaros Pessoas’. Dizem que ela esta prestes a lançar mais um...espreitem a website dela!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...