Saturday, March 3, 2012

Luísa Sobral

Photo by Catarina Limão
At just 24 years old, she has one of the most highly regarded Portuguese albums of the past year. Cherry on My Cake is Luísa Sobral's debut album, and it's a joy to listen to on a sunny Saturday afternoon like this one. Luísa herself has a voice to match her bright compositions, equally comfortable singing beautiful jazz ballads in English or her native Portuguese. She first burst into the spotlight in one of Portugal's televised music competitions, before heading to the states to study at the Berklee College of Music, a short walk away from where I studied a bit further down Commonwealth Avenue.

Although the majority of the album is in English, it's been some time since I've heard a Portuguese voice singing jazz like this. I actually just read a Youtube commenter describe her as the Portuguese Billie Holiday; who am I to argue with Youtube wisdom. I remember listening to the album for the first time and being struck by O Engraxador and Xico, the latter of which is featured below. It's a jazz number that retains a very Portuguese quality about it, not much less so because of its lyrics. But my two favorite songs on the album are both in English - Don't Let Me Down and the album's runaway track, Not There Yet. I find myself returning again and again to it - click play below to hear what I mean.

Xico
Don't Let Me Down
Not There Yet

Aos 24 anos, tem um dos melhores álbums portugueses do ano. Chama-se Cherry on My Cake e é maravilhoso de se ouvir numa tarde de sábado ensolarada como esta. A voz da Luísa é a companheira ideal das suas lindas composições, sejam elas em português ou inglês. Notabilizou-se no programa Ídolos da SIC aos 16 anos e depois rumou para os States, onde estudou na Berklee College of Music, uns minutos à pé de onde eu estudei.

A maioria das músicas no álbum são cantadas em inglês, mas há um tempo que não ouvia uma voz portuguesa a cantar jazz desta maneira. Já vi comentários no Youtube a proclamar-lhe a Billie Holiday portuguesa. E quem sou eu para duvidar da sabedoria colectiva do Youtube! A primeira vez que ouvi o disco, saltou-me logo à "vista" a música Xico, e também O Engraxador, mas após mais umas audições apaixonei-me mais pelas composições em inglês, particularmente Don't Let Me Down e, para mim, a melhor música do disco: Not There Yet. Volto sempre a ela. Carregue no play acima para ouvires do que falo...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...